Monday, January 2, 2012

Fudge Cake Results

I attempted the Fudge Cake on New Year's Eve.  I had to do something to entertain myself since I was (yes, I know this will sound heartbreaking) home alone.  My adoring husband  was on call and out.  And my darling children?  Well, what self-respecting teen or twenty-something is going to sit home with "mommy" when they could be out with their friends?  Ah, but that is the subject of another post. 

The cake was very easy to bake--even user friendly.  Eggs and milk could be used right out of the refrigerator--no warming required.  That is one thing I'm always forgetting when I set out to bake cakes.  Eggs need to be room temperature for so many recipes, it was nice to find one where my lack of preparation was not an issue.
The recipe calls for 7 minutes of beating.  This surprised me.  All I could think of was that it would be tough if the gluten got really developed.  This did not happen, however.  The consistency was slightly thicker than a boxed mix.

I plopped the batter into 2 eight inch spring form pans I had sprayed with baking spray (Pam with flour added to it).  Then I popped them into the preheated oven.  If you look closely at the first picture, you'll see what I didn't when I opened the oven after about 3 minutes to take the picture--my pans were leaking from the bottom.  The spring must have sprung from the pans.  After about 10 minutes I began to smell burnt sugar.  Dejavu!  Mount Chocula all over again?  I was saved that by virtue of the fact that the pans were only about half filled.  After about twenty minutes the batter was firm enough to seal the leaks.  I didn't lose more than a couple of tablespoons of batter.  Just enough to be annoying.
The pair took about 45 minutes to cook, longer than a boxed mix.  They seemed a bit crispy on top and looked flat when I pulled them out of the oven.  I let them cool about 10 minutes before I removed the pans and put them on a rack to finish cooling.  It was when I flipped them over onto the rack I noticed a slight sloping towards the center.  I can't really say they fell--I've seen much worse.  The crispy top must have hidden an air pocket just under the skin causing the cake to look flat when it wasn't.  However, the dent wasn't enough for me to call this attempt a failure.

Once cooled, I wrapped them in plastic wrap and set them aside for New Year's Day.  (By that time I was feeling a bit melancholy as I was STILL the only one home.)  Because they were wrapped, the crispy outer layer softened, and by the next day the outer layer of cake was soft and very moist.  I frosted the layers with a chocolate genosh which I added powered sugar to to give it more body.  I melted a cup of chocolate chips with just enough half and half to barely cover the chocolate.  Added powdered sugar--maybe 2 cups, and beat.

Here are the results.  Let it be known I am NOT a decorator of cakes.  That would be my sister.  I have seen what she can do and admire her.  But once I helped her make like a bazillion gum paste rose petals to go on my nephew's wedding cake.  That was enough for me.

Now, for what you really wanted to know all along.  How did it taste?  What was the texture like?

The recipe made a nicely textured cake.   It is called fudge cake and that has some bearing on the texture--moist and richly crumbed.  This is not a light cake--it has body, substance. 

The verdict for taste--YUM!  Again, fudge is the operative word.  Rich!  Chocolate!  This is a tall glass of milk cake--at least for me.  Five other people had pieces as well, and while I must, for the sake of honest disclosure say they are family members, they are honest enough to tell me if it tasted yucky.  None did.  The fact that there is only a fourth of it left is testimony that it was not disgusting.

Oh! There is only an eighth left now.  I think I'll call this try a success.

Better get myself that last big piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment